Last weekend was my birthday weekend so we headed down to Venus Bay to celebrate. Of course I had to pack a few sewing bibs and bobs just incase I had time! As it turned out I had about an hour free and I quickly drafted up a pattern using an old kimono I bought a few years ago as a rough guide. I added some pleats in the shoulder area for a bit of interest.
The fabric is "Three sided tears" from Tessuti and is a cotton/silk blend voile. It's a beautiful fabric and fairly easy to work with although I made sure I trace threaded all of my seam lines and tailor tacked the pleats for accuracy. The fabric also frayed a little and I didn't want to add bulky serging to the seams as it just wouldn't do it justice so I chose french seams which worked perfectly.
Here is a great article from Threads on how to finish seams on silk fabrics.
It worked out pretty well although I think a higher percentage of silk would have been better as the higher percentage of cotton probably doesn't let it hang as well as I'd like.