Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Fringe Dress

Tessuti are running another competition which closes tonight! I bought the fabric a while ago and pinned a few ideas to my pinterest board but like always, left it literally to the last minute (again!).

Update: I was awarded a runner up prize! Thankyou so much Tessuti!


The competition requires that you use Tessuti's fabric which is a Jersey that comes in black/natural or ecru/natural.  Make whatever YOU like! Sew something that suits you and that you'd like to wear.
Sounds like a fun project.



I bought a couple of meters of both colourways but chose ecru/natural for the dress I had in mind.
The fabric is beautiful. It is a really nice mid weight jersey which is gorgeous to sew.


I instantly loved a Sauce dress I found on ASOS which is a simple little dress but is a little edgy with a fringe in the same fabric. It's such a fun dress and I like to think that I'm a fun girl.


I used a Kwik Sew pattern 3777 for the dress which is actually a top so I added a few inches to make a short dress.  As I was on holiday's when I made the dress I didn't have an overlocker on hand so I used a very narrow zig zag and a stretch needle. I used a twin needle for the hem.


 I then made the  fringe by cutting a wide strip of the jersey, cutting slits and then pulling it so the fabric curled. It looked just like the Sauce dress so I was pretty happy with that.


 I attached the fringe by hand sewing in place and then top stitching so the fringe faces away from the centre front.



I am really happy with the way it has turned out. I have more fabric so I might try a top next time with the same  fringe technique.





Under construction


Sauce Fringe Dress from ASOS


Fingers crossed Tessuti will like it too.



9 comments:

  1. So fun! I've loved seeing everyone's interpretations of that Jaywalk fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's been interesting watching all of the designs unfold. Some of them are awesome!

      Delete
  2. So much fun! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Thank you for the inspiration, and the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so fun and unique! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so much fun and really creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh get it sexy Momma. I so love this. Great summer dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Annie! I love your dress, and I'm thrilled to see that you won a prize!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very fresh design, it looks great on you. I think clear colors in clothing for woman communicate naturality and happiness.

    ReplyDelete